- Kinan Azmeh is awarded 2018 Composer Commissions Individual Artist grant from New York State Council of the Arts to compose music for Iphigenia in Lesvos.
- Iphigenia Artistic team is awarded Arts and Humanities Initiative Major Grant from the University of Iowa Office for Research and Development to support a Partnership in the Arts developmental production of the film opera at the University of Iowa Theatre Arts Department in partnership with Hancher Auditorium’s Embracing Complexity program, the Center for Human Rights, the Obermann Center forAdvanced Studies, the Film department and the School of Music.
- Iphigenia Artistic team is awarded an Obermann Center for Advanced Studies Interdisciplinary Research Fellowship for 4 weeks in the summer of 2017, Iowa
- PSC-CUNY Research & Development grant is awarded to Irina Patkanian to continue shooting film for the documentary film opera.
- Irina’s short documentary poems from the Lesvos series, Children in Gold, Sisters and The Waterline are invited to play during United Nations Peace Week in Genève, Suisse. They are officially selected to play at DocuWest Film Festival in Denver, CO; Global Impact Film Festival in Washington D.C.; Socially Relevant Film Festival in New York, NY and at Social Justice Film Festival in Seattle, WA. Irina’s documentaries win Award of Recognition at ImpactDoc online Film Festival and Best Short Documentary award at Peace on Earth Film Festival in Chicago, IL.
- – Iphigenia at Lesvos plays on Iowa Public Television. Watch it here.
- – Documentaries from Lesvos series are screened at Dr. Dweck Cultural Center of Brooklyn Public Library; Ridgefield Library of Ridgefield, CT; Pequot library of Southport, CT; Mark Twain Library of Redding, CT and Woody Tanger Auditorium presented by the Wolfe Institute.
- – Iphigenia at Lesvos a text/film essay is published online by Theatre Communications Group. read it here.
- – Iphigenia: Fragments from an Excavation a staged reading with documentary at Iowa City Book Festival, produced by Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature.
- – In September and October Irina Patkanian and Gus Ford (Cinematographer) documented the unfolding crisis on Lesvos Island where 4500 refugees and migrants arrived every day from Turkish shores.
- – Fragments from an Excavation: Iphigenia, adapted and performed for the Climate Change Theatre Action produced by NoPassport, The Artic Cycle and Theatre Without Borders for COP21 in Paris. Performed at over 100 venues in 25 countries and at COP21.
- – Seven Songs for Iphigenia In June Lisa Schlesinger, and Irina Patkanian received the Old Gold Fellowship from the University of Iowa to travel to Crete, Greece where Lisa wrote and staged a site-specific version of the play and Irina started shooting a documentary film about the process through the eyes of a local poet shepherd Antonis Kavousanakis.
- Irina Patkanian and Lisa Schlesinger conceive and begin The Iphigenia Project, a multi-year, multi-media collaboration about the Refugee Crisis.
Irina, Lisa and Marion at Obermann Center Iowa City, IA